The Oxehealth Way
Hugh Lloyd-Jukes, CEO
Before Oxehealth, no one had certified software enabling a simple optical sensor to measure pulse and breathing rate as a medical device or created a Digital Care Assistant that pays attention when staff cannot be in the room.
We have found that to deliver our dream frequently requires inventing something the world’s not seen before - from scientific breakthroughs to novel business partnerships.
Looking back over our company history at our last full team offsite, we were able to identify ten occasions where the task ahead of us simply looked impossible. These ranged from the raw physics of dealing with extreme light changes in a customer’s room to a complete system rebuild in double quick time and coping with the workload generated by scaling sales up faster than we could hire.
To overcome these moments of apparent impossibility has required individual courage and openness to learn combined with extremely close teamwork.
Continuing to foster this attitude and culture is crucial to our continuing success. We call this unique way of problem solving the Oxehealth Way and it’s the foundation of our success.
Rather than a dogma or corporate aspiration written by HR (we don't have an HR department), the Oxehealth Way is a concrete list of the practices and values that we have found we have needed to get to where we are today. It’s a living thing which we first articulated in 2016 and re-articulated at our quarterly offsite in July 2018.
If you like the sound of our Way, you’ll like working at Oxehealth.
Ways of Working
- MVP mindset - always build the “minimum viable product”
- Is it a must? Focus on the “musts”; distinguish the “loves” and “options”
- Communicate, Communicate, Communicate - call a stand up, shout out on hipchat, wander over to their desk
- The team wins = rally round, help each other
- No blame - open culture, feedback, post mortem process
- No sacred cows - be prepared to throw out everything if that’s what solving the problem requires
- Relentless, don’t accept impossibility, be bold
- Learn & grow - always open to new ideas
- Pizza & bananas! (you’ll have to ask at interview…)
- Think! Don’t turn your brain off
- Treat people as people, not machines
- Take responsibility to achieve something, do not just get through the day
- Be kind, help others
- Be (“brutally”) honest
- Be bold
- Go faster, build momentum
- Take pride in rigour & quality
- Keep yourself and others safe
The second limb of the dream we articulated as a team in 2016 is “to work flexibly to support each other to be creative, responsible and to grow.” Creating a place where unusually talented people feel at home and are free to do some of the best work of their lives is crucial to our success and therefore a critical priority for the company and personally important to me, as CEO.
We are proud of the work we do. We have developed a unique way of working that enables us to be fast, flexible and have fun. We work on interesting, varied challenges, collaborate closely and prize learning and personal growth. We have the chance to contribute a profoundly valuable tool to medicine.
If you want to develop a technology that helps care for the elderly and most vulnerable in society and this sounds like a culture you would thrive in, we’d love to hear from you.