- Staff can confirm patient safety without disturbing or waking resting patients at night.
- The modified observation protocol is as safe as conventional methods.
- Patients feel they get better sleep and enjoy more privacy.
- Staff feel they disturb patients less whilst being confident that they are safe.
- Staff find the system easy to use and approximately twice as fast as conventional observation methods.
The service improvement evaluation demonstrated that a modified protocol significantly improved patient and staff experience with no reduction in safety, whilst leaving the underlying Engagement and Observation policy at night largely unchanged.
Consequently, Oxford Health have now implemented the modified observation protocol into “everyday use” in all patient bedrooms equipped with the Digital Care Assistant.